About Me

My photo
One Grandma, trying to let the light of Jesus shine through me. . . reaching out into the darkness with love to little hands, hearts and minds . . .for Jesus.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A poem Mother loved. . .to thy own self be true. . .


Beautiful, precious Mother with Daddy. . .what a blessing they were to me.

I was reading a magazine, "Reminisce" given to us by Sis. Jean Jones the other
day and found a very special memory of my own.
When I was a young girl and even through my teens Mother recite a poem to me. . .
It was usually when she was standing behind me, facing a mirror while fixing my hair.
I never remembered the entire poem, just a few lines. . .but when I saw this
in the magazine I knew I'd found a treasure.
So here is the whole poem Mother would recite to me. . .planting values in my mind.
I remember most the first stanza.


"Myself"

I have to live with myself, and so
I want to be fit for myself to know.
I want to be able as days go by,
Always to look myself straight in the eye.
I don't want to stand with the setting sun
And hate myself for the things I've done.
I don't want to keep on a closet shelf
A lot of secrets about myself.
And fool myself, as I come and go,
Into thinking that nobody else will know
The kind of person I really am;
I don't want to dress up myself in sham.
I want to go out with my head erect,
I want to deserve all men's respect;
But here in the struggle for fame and pelf
I want to be able to like myself.
I don't want to look at myself and know
That I'm bluster and bluff and empty show.
I never can hide myself from me;
I see what others may never see.
I know what others may never know,
I never can fool myself, and so,
Whatever happens, I want to be
Self-respecting and conscience free.
-Edgar A. Guest-

Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.
Proverbs 31:30



No comments: