About Me

My photo
One Grandma, trying to let the light of Jesus shine through me. . . reaching out into the darkness with love to little hands, hearts and minds . . .for Jesus.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Mom Loved. . . and Lived This Poem. .. "Myself"


Mother

 
 
Here is an old poem Mother used to say to me when I was young.
Mom loved it. . .and she lived it.
It for sure made an impression on my thinking. . .it made me want to be like Mom. . .
to be able to look at myself eye to eye in the mirror and know
I wasn't a fake. . .or flake. . .
 
Here it is.  I may have posted it before but if I did it's good enough to post again.
Sis. Jean Jones sharess some magazines with me and this was in one of them.
I don't know how Mom found it to learn, maybe in school back when morals was
part of the daily lesson plan.
 
Myself
by Edgar A Guest
 
I have to live with myself, and so
I want to be fit for myself to know.
I want to be able, as days go by,
Always to look myeslf straight in the eye.
I don't want to stand with the setting sun
And hate myself for the things I've done.
 
I don't want to keep on a closet shelf
A lot of secrets about myself.
And fool myself, as I come and go,
Into thinking that nobody else will know
The kind of person I really am;
I don't want to dress up myself in sham.
 
I want to go out with my hear erect.
I want to deserve all men's respect;
But here in the struggle for fame and pelf
I want to be able to like myself.
I don't want to look at myself and know
That I'm bluster and bluff and empty show.
 
I never can hide myself from me;
I see what other may never see.
I know what others may never know;
I never can fool myself, and so,
Whatever happens, I want to be
Self-respecting and conscience free.
 

No comments: